Nurses' Pinning and the Nightingale Pledge


My school's pin for practical nursing graduates

     On Wednesday, August 26th, I officially graduated from nursing school. On the Monday prior, we had a private pinning ceremony. While searching for the text of the Nightingale Pledge, I came across the Wikipedia article on the pinning ceremony, which has some information I wanted to share.

     Pinning is the official induction into the "brotherhood or sisterhood of nurses". Its earliest history dates from the 12th century during the crusades, when "monks initiated into the Knights Hospitaller that cared for injured and ill Crusaders were given a Maltese Cross". After the Crimean War, Florence Nightingale was awarded the Royal Red Cross by Queen Victoria, and the tradition further evolved from there.

     At our ceremony, after each of us received our pin, we recited the Nightingale Pledge. It is so beautiful! Here is the version we recited (apparently a combination of the original and the revised 1935 version):

     I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully.

I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, I will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug.

I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, I will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling.

With loyalty I will endeavor to aid the physician in his work and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.


     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Need a Million Dollars

The Beginning of My Pro-Life Life